CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Weathering the Storm


Here are a few pictures of what our weeks was like. Northwest Arkansas and many other parts of the US were hit with a huge ice storm this week. A majority of the people in our area were without power for days. Most everyone's power returned yesterday except those in the rural areas. We find ourselves very blessed, happy and warm. We were only without power for 5-8 hours a couple of times. It seems like everyone has had someplace warm to go and I think the biggest devastation are the trees. The picture above is a tree in our yard. The tallest limbs had all broken off.

Here is another picture of some of the down trees in our yard. If the branches hadn't broken from all the ice on them they were hanging down very low.

This is what our street looked like. A neighbor's tree fell over into the road.

This neighbot had a huge tree in their yard and most of their branches broke off and many onto their roof. Luckily none of them broke through.

Now that the storm is over everyone seems to be in good spirits and is getting to work picking up the mess that was left behind. Now Carson is ready to purchase a chainsaw and a fireplace insert. I have never really liked the sound of a chainsaw but compared to the multitude of falling branches replicating the sound of war zone I will take the chainsaw any day.

9 comments:

Auburn said...

crazy! I always forget that the rest of the world has to deal with that kind of craziness. seeing that doesn't make me miss the midwest, I remember those days ;o_

Jones Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jones Family said...

That's so crazy! Glad things are okay. To answer your comment you left on my blog. We used to live in Roswell and over a year ago we moved to Albuquerque. Now we are probably going to move to Queen Creek. I hope we're there by March. I would love to get together with you. Let me know when you know the exact dates. Also, here's my email address:
julieudall@hotmail.com

(so you can leave yours and maybe your phone #)

Anne said...

Wow, that's crazy! I'm glad you guys made it out okay but I'm sorry for your trees!

Carma Lee said...

Oh my! So grateful you didn't have any serious damage like a tree on your house! Glad your power outages were few also. I thought about you as I watched the weather stations and shivered!

Emilee said...

oh my heck! scary! glad you guys were ok, but your poor trees! so sad when mother nature does stuff like that!

The Morrisons... said...

Oh dear...that does not look fun one bit! Im sorry. Im glad you guys are ok though.

Roy said...

HEY! Crazy cold! It's been kind of cold here- it's been like 36 or so in the mornings on my way to school, but nothing like that. Hope all is well! love you!!!

Kristi said...

Holy cow! Wow! I'm so happy that you are safe and warm!